Current:Home > MyJohn Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -WealthDrive Solutions
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 13:12:32
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry, and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (73)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- With 'The Woke Agenda,' Calgorithm propels California football into social media spotlight
- Toilet paper not expected to see direct impacts from port strike: 'People need to calm down'
- Armed person broke into Michigan home of rabbi hosting Jewish students, authorities say
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Naomi Watts joined at New York Film Festival by her 'gigantic' dog co-star
- Jurors in trial of Salman Rushdie’s attacker likely won’t hear about his motive
- Former county sheriff has been appointed to lead the Los Angeles police force
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- One disaster to another: Family of Ukrainian refugees among the missing in NC
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Hurricane Helene Raises Questions About Raising Animals in Increasingly Vulnerable Places
- Amid Hurricane Helene’s destruction, sports organizations launch relief efforts to aid storm victims
- Love Is Blind's AD Smith and Love Is Blind UK’s Ollie Sutherland Fuel Romance Rumors With Dinner Outing
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Judge refuses to dismiss Alabama lawsuit over solar panel fees
- Saoirse Ronan Shares Rare Insight Into Relationship With Husband Jack Lowden
- Jurors in trial of Salman Rushdie’s attacker likely won’t hear about his motive
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Saoirse Ronan made a life for herself. Now, she's 'ready to be out there again.'
Garth Brooks Accused in Lawsuit of Raping Makeup Artist, Offering Threesome With Wife Trisha Yearwood
Eminem Shares Emotional Reaction to Daughter Hailie Jade's Pregnancy
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Jennifer Hudson gushes about Common and chats with him about marriage: 'You are my joy'
UNC relocates intrasquad scrimmage from Cherokee after Hurricane Helene’s impact to region
Wreckage of World War II ship that served with the US and Japan found near California